It’s entirely possible that many cruise passengers have no idea what that means, if they aren’t football fans and are unaware the Seattle Seahawks had 12 players on the field in the last two Super Bowls…the “12th” being the Seahawks’ fan base.
So now the 12s — it is not politically correct to say 12th men — are going on a cruise with some of their favorite people, which is to say anybody with a past, present or future with their beloved football team. As you might expect, there’s enough fervor to sell out three of the five stateroom categories, with only inside and oceanview accommodation left, 10 days before the cruise.
Who’s going? Among the Seattle celebrities…
• Warren Moon, who briefly quarterbacked the Seahawks after spending most of his career in Texas (Houston) and Canada (Edmonton) on his way to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, and who is now on the ‘Hawks’ radio broadcast.
• Defensive end Gregg Scruggs and tackle Justin Britt, members of what the 12s say will be three straight Super Bowl teams, along with safety Jordan Babineau and lineman Edward Bailey, who played on pre-championship Seattle teams.
• Jim Zorn, who spent nine years with the Seahawks and was the first quarterback to take them to the playoffs.
At last report, there was no sign of current quarterback Russell Wilson or running back Marshawn Lynch or defensive back Richard Sherman or head coach Pete Carroll, whose goal-line strategy in the final minute last February still angers some of the 12s.
But hey, there’s always next year. The 12s are in it for the long run.
In the news…
• Capsized Chinese cruise ship cited for safety problems two years ago (Fox News)
• Australia's 10-year market growth 533 per cent (Cruise Industry News)
• Third terminal quietly opened in Germany's biggest port, Hamburg
Today at portsandbows.com: Holland America's Panama Canal cruises